Monday, September 3, 2012

21117 (TwoElevenSeventeen) - Jay Verze

Welcome to the first real review here!



Young, Baltimorean emcee, Jay Verze has been hyping people up for this debut project since late 2011/early 2012. I can't remember exactly when, but he's definitely had us waiting and expecting something great. The Adolescent Phenom has entitled his mixtape "21117" after the zip code of his Owings Mills neighborhood. For the young rapper, this project is "where everything originated."

Time Out ft. R.Jay (Prod. by TrackOfficialz) -

This is a GREAT intro the mixtape. The news clipping really set the tone and describes the trouble that a preponderance of Baltimore teens seem to get into. The song itself vibes. TrackOfficialz made something epic and easygoing at the same time. Verze pretty much tells us he's going to make this work. We all know it's a struggle with this hip hop thing, and he is definitely ready for the journey that comes with it.


"This the playoffs. I'm going for that trophy, boy. The game is in the joint and all my niggas thirsty, boy."
4/5

Est. 1995 (Prod. by Flawless Tracks) -

Okay. The beat is HOT. I have to know, what sample is that? GodDAMN. Flawless Tracks aka The Best Kept Secret (Also one of Wale's producers) killed that. Jay Verze turned it into the perfect summer song. I love that "from the block" line. haha.


"I'm feeling real cool listening to Big and Pac. Listening to Nas. They listen to from the block"
5/5

Matter of Time (Prod. by IllMuzik) -

Another one of those songs "Last year, niggas didn't fuck with me, but now they see me coming up, so they want to be my friends, and since I reject them like they rejected me, they say I changed. Comeuppance is a bitch, ain't it?" While the message is a bit typical, I like the song. One thing that annoys me about songs like this is that he's not famous, yet. Let the fickle bandwagon.. for now. The beat is amazing.


"I had respect for some niggas. I had to take it back."
4/5

Boring Nights & Hip Hop (Prod. by Lexi Banks) -

Here's a song every rapper can relate to at one point in their life. I know I can haha. Jay tells us that the boring nights making hip hop pay off. At time, the lyrics get a bit cliche (mainly in the chorus), but the song is still on point. Lexi Banks made fire with this. Is it just me or does Verze's deep voice sound weird?


"Them long days and late nights, dawg that's how we get it."
3/5

Crusin' (Prod. by Lexi Banks) -

This was one of the singles to drop before the mixtape. Honestly, I don't like this song. The beat is okay and Jay Verze puts some nice bars in it, but overall I don't like it. I don't like the chorus either. It sounds so typical. Does Jay Verze even have this girl he speaks about in the chorus? lol. "On a rainy day. that's when I'm in my prime. That's when I'm in the studio writing these dope rhymes." I'm sorry, but that had to be one of the weakest lines... definitely my least liked song off of the mixtape.


"You say you got a big heart, but it's empty."
1.5/5

All The Calls Are Off ft. Jujuan Allen (Prod. by Kraze) - This beat already has that old school vibe that gets you to bump your head with that "ungh" face. Verze changed up the flow a little on this. That was cool. Jujuan added a dope verse. I fucks with it. That hook vibes. This here almost sounds like an old Wiz track. Another song with a typical topic, but it's a nice variation from most songs that talk about being a boss. *looks at William Leonard Roberts II* "I'm a cool, lil' nigga. 50 for a verse just to do something witcha" 3/5

Interlude - 12 O'Clock (Prod. by Dres'More) -

I know I'm a horrible person, but I can't help, but laugh. The beat has that smooth feel, and Verze is hitting the right notes and all, but when he just goes "Can you call me? ahh haaa," I picture him with that R. Kelly face. The song is actually nice, I just can't stop laughing. lol. And then this nigga slows it down so he can talk in his deep voice. like "i swear this is the life, man... I'm in here by myself. I got the lights off. I'm just relaxin, you know. I hope y'all feeling like me tonight." That's Jay Kelly, my nigga. lol.


5/5 because this track is demulcent, yet made me die laughing at the same time.

The Drama Story (Prod. by Mr. Kooman) -

Mr. Kooman has something beautiful here. The beat alone puts a tear to my eye. Verze starts out describes a drug dealer who got a girl pregnant that's facing his fear and the challenge of becoming a father. Next verse, he talks of a girlfriend of the drug dealer. Just as sad a story. One of my favorite tracks of the mixtape.


4.8/5

About That Time ft. Rome Duran (Prod. by Flawless Tracks) -

I love Rome Duran. The mixtape he dropped was amazing. Just seeing his name got me excited. Jay Verze switched up some flows and Rome sang an amazing hook. All of that with Flawless Tracks' production makes a beautiful song.


"Let me show you how passionate I get when you're around"
4.5/5

Teenage Lust Pt. 3 ft. Will (Prod. by Rip Knoxx) -

Who is Will? With a name like that, it's not easy to find you on Google, but the boy sings an amazing hook. Rip is one of my favorite producers in the Baltimore (and the DMV). The beat is hot. It's not exactly another love/breakup song. It's a bit more interesting.


2/5

One Night (Prod. by Scrilla Beats) -

This beat is so feel good. It's got that Summer feeling. Just something to bump with the windows down when you're riding the whip around on a nice summer day. I think this should get one of those white people, summer fun music videos. lol.


"My mind grew higher intensity cuz everything I'm doing today is going to be memories."
4.2/5

Hands Up ft. Tay West (Prod. by Scrilla Beats) -

THAT TENOR, MY NIGGA? WHO'S PLAYING THAT TENOR? WHAT'S THAT SAMPLE. GODDAMN SCRILLA. Tay West did a nice, little hook. It was a brevity, but still dope. Another one of those feel good tracks. A bit typical, but nothing unoriginal.


and again. THAT TENOR, MY NIGGA. YASSSSS
4/5

See You Later ft. Y1 & Rickie Jacobs (Prod. by Rip Knoxx) -

One question: Why is this the only censored song on the mixtape? lol. I know you have the radio ready versions, but this is the CDQ/Album version. This doesn't need to be clean (not that it's even THAT dirty). Another one of the singles released before. I believe this dropped on Valentine's Day as a breakup song or something of that sort.(A lotta songs dropped that day like this, like Bobby Woody did that Frank Ocean Remix, TyQuan and that Love Puppet track, and a plethora more..) I love this song. Jay Verze put down a hot verse, but then Y1 added some amazing stuff, and then Rickie Jacobs (probably my favorite rapper from Baltimore) really just KILLED IT. And Rip Knoxx never disappoints.


"Uncle Ruckus told me not to trust them new niggas, so what am I supposed to do?"
5/5

Feelin Like A Star ft. Starrz (Prod. by Luger Beats) -

This beat is hard. Originally when it dropped, I didn't like the song because I don't like that feel of beats, but it's something I can at least pretend to dance too. Starrz added an amazing verse.


"Sleepin on me, big mistake. I'm blowin up. landmine"
3.1/5

Let Go (Prod. by Lexi Banks) -

Awwwwwwwwwwww yeahh. I love Frou Frou and I love how Lexi sampled them. Does Verze even know that sample? lol. Frou Frou and Imogen Heap always make the nicest samples. Jay Verze just went hard on the beat though. I love this song. I don't even need to say anything more about this. Easily my favorite track on the tape.


"Every nigga be tryna claim a style, but they all be on to that same ish. Hood niggas be talkin money, but still be moving theme same bricks. Niggas talkin bout wifin girls, but niggas be on them same chicks." br 5/5

Having A Goodnight (Prod. by Flawless Tracks) -

Great beat. Great song. Nice way to end things. Enough said.


"Don't be surprised to get smacked when it's grind time."
4/5

My Place ft Shwaze Collins (Prod. by Twigg) - I don't understand the point of Bonus songs and I was wondering when Schwaze would get his feature on the tape. The beat is fire. I didn't like the chorus at first, but it grows on you. Jay Verze put down a nice verse and Shwaze killed it too.
"We never turning back, we turning pages"
3/5

The mixtape was a nice change from usual ascensions of most of the rap about gun toting and selling drugs here in Baltimore. One thing I didn't mention that I really like is Verze's use of time on the project. He's always like "uh. it's 4 in the morning" or something like that and even named the interlude "12 O'Clock." I don't know what it is, but something about that is just amiable. The one thing I don't like about it is that most of the beats come from producers on SoundClick that he most likely doesn't know. I know that Rip is a Baltimore dude and I couldn't find who Twigg or Kraze are. The rest: Guys on Soundclick. I respect there internet grind and they do make great beats, but I think a local artist like Jay Verze should go to some more local producers (Street Scott, MIC, Judah, Bobby Woody, King Midas, etc.) Overall, I like the project. It didn't live up to all of the hype I expected, but it's still pretty amazing! Jay Verze's lyrical content has room to improve, but the boy makes some nice songs. I can see him going far. Check out his mixtape and be sure to follow this kid for greater things in the future. 76% - C

Download 21117: http://jayverze.com/2012/08/18/mixtape-jay-verze-21117-twoelevenseventeen/
Jay Verze's Twitter
Jay Verze's Facebook
Jay Verze's Website

The next review will be on BKnitts' Summer Sessions!

This review was brought to you by Waverly Spades and now I'm off to do some calculus.

No comments:

Post a Comment