Saturday, September 8, 2012

#SummerSessions - BKnitts

My second review here, and this time, on BKnitt's latest..

Milwaukee, WI is the birthplace of cheese! I don't really hear about many rappers or any type of musicians from that part of the country very often (at least none that get popular enough to reach me), but I've finally found one! I found Brad Knitter, aka BKnitts, through Bobby Woody tweeting something about Brad's new mixtape #SummerSessions like a week ago. Knowing Bobby's taste, I couldn't resist and decided to take a listen. Here's what I thought..



Beach House (Intro)

This is an amazing intro. The beat is beautiful. Who produced this? What is that sample? haha I love it. Already got that summer feel.

"Wont support a movement 'less I see the resemblance. I need to respect it and believe in the message."
4.5/5

Headed Home (Prod. by DJ Trill Cosby)

Whoever DJ Trill Cosby is, this is amazing. I couldn't find his online information. The only thing I hate about this song is how short it is.

Update! Through a little digging, I found him!

4/5

One Up (ft. GSnaps)

So this song came to through a contest that Brad won. He got a free collab with popular, female MC, GSnaps. I love the original, so I'm glad they hopped on this beat. BKnitts killed it, but then GSnaps just killed it. This is too dope. I would've been even happier if they did an original. *sighs*

4/5

Palace

God damn, how real is this? TOO FUCKING DOPE. The beat is hot and Brad SPAZZES. So early in the tape and already one of my favorite tracks. And that fast flow? God dayum.

"I'm underpaid and overbooked. Nothing's changed. I hope it would. Cuz honestly I'm overlooked"
6/5

Drank In My Cup

One of my favorite industry beats in a while. BKnitts killed.he's one of those awkward looking white dudes, so it sorta makes me chuckle imagining him doing some of the stuff he talks about in here. When Knitts starts singing though, I go off. That's amazing. The dude really has a voice. G$Rab kills it.

"Gin sipping turns into sip writtens"
5/5

Paper Planes

ok This one, I don't like so much. BKnitts says some funny stuff, I can't lie. I like his lyrics and all, I just HATE the Paper Planes beat. Brad killed it nonetheless. lol. I like it and don't like it at the sometime.

"Got em leaning like a cholo, but I'm whiter than a ghost, yo."
3/5

Milwaukee (ReProd. by Bobby Woody)

OH SNAP! The original to this song by Chance The Rapper is so dope! Why did Bobby Reproduce it? Is there no original already on YouTube? haha. I love this though. Brad killed it. Great way to rep his cheese city!

"Been here since my birth, I wouldn't mind another 23!"
4/5

The Moment (ft. Eske & Bobby Woody)

Now here's a rap song with a message. It's also the most quotable. One thing to improve: the mixing. Eske's voice needs to be EQ'd with the track and Bobby's needs to be turned up a bit. It sounds dope. Eske talks about the American scam of College, Brad gets a bit usual with his topic of getting famous, and Bobby is a bit random, but he said "I'm just a Squidward in a world full of Squilliams." Mad love for that Spongebob reference. That beat is also hot.

"What's your plan after you get that piece of paper that says you passed?"
4/5

Whale (Interlude)

This is an amazing song. The beat is beautiful and Knitts uses a witty flow with some lyrics with a bit of a deeper meaning. The chorus makes me a bit jumpy. I love it!


4.7/5

New Kid (ft. Young Fusion)

I'm pretty sure I've heard of Young Fusion through GSnaps or something. I love this song. He hops on that hook and it's just hilarious. That beat is so 2002! lol. Brad killed it. Fusion went off also. His flow is hot. This is one of those tracks you bump through the hood with the windows down, music loud as fuck

3.8/5

I've Only Just Begun

WAYNE'S WORLD! I love the beat! Was this for a cypher or something like that on YouTube? I love what BKnitts did with this song. He criticized school (something I also criticize) and I love how he did it.

"If I don't tell my story, someone else will tell it for me"
4.8/5

No Interruptions (ft. Nolan Ollis & SwiSS)

This beat alone interests me a bit. It doesn't have me jumping or anything, but it's cool. I don't like the chorus much and BKnitts' verse gets typical with some of his earlier stuff. Nolan Ollis was alright. He needs to clean his flow up a bit. SwiSS absolutely killed it! I love that Jerry Sandusky line. lol.

"See nowadays, real rappers get no love. And wack rappers either wind down or chrome up."
2.9/5

One Last Time

awwwww shit. Brad got that "We need to talk" call. #TeamSingle. lol. I like the story Brad sets up with this. It's not a typical love song, it's chill and a bit sensual. I really like it.

"Our minds fell in love but they died on impact."
4/5

Ridin'

Now this song here speaks summer. The beat is chill and BKnitts is just being a rapper. and I like that. WAPOW!

"My neck fell down the line because this music biz is cutthroat."
3.5/5

Flowers (Prod. by Bobby Woody)

Not my favorite Bobby Woody beat, but it's very lighthearted. Brad talks to his summer love. I like how Brad let the beat talk for a few seconds at the end. The whole thing is chill.

"I don't believe in God, but I swear that you're an angel"
3.3/5

Goldie Freeverse

I love this song (the original). I like this Freeverse too. Brad really did kill it! I fucks with this.


4/5

Lightwork

No one has gone over the Ellie Goulding sample and not killed it. (If so, that's disrespectful to good music everywhere.) Of course, Brad killed this, though. Nice little way to end the tape.

"I've, never been patient. Never complacent. Dealin with hatred. But Ive always been a believer stress is better when you face it." 4/5

Honestly, I really like the whole mixtape. I think this here is the best mixtape I've listened to this summer. It's got that perfect summer feel. I like mostly everything about it. All of the songs are very well put together: features and everything. One thing I think Brad should work on is his mixing (or whoever mixes his tracks). The beat tends to be too loud at times (or the voice being to low). Another thing, I think Brad should get more originals! I like the remixes, but originals show us who you completely are! Overall, I loved the tape. I expect more from this guy in the future. 81.8% - B-

Download Summer Sessions: http://whiteboytakeover.bandcamp.com/album/summersessions
BKnitts' Twitter
BKnitts' YouTube

This review was brought to you by Waverly Spades and now I'm off to find the relation between triggernometry and Algebra.

No comments:

Post a Comment