Sunday, December 16, 2012

Y1 - FinallY Or1ginal (Mixtape Review)







What's up errrybody? It's me, the real Carlton Banks aka Bill Nye's 2nd cousin aka that nerdy ass nigga who decided to start a blog and bash on the niggas he hates aka Waverly Spades. I haven't done a mixtape review in a minute. Recently, Y1 found his way into my ear and I was itching to take a listen. Nicholas Pullen is an up and coming rapper from Baltimore going by Y1. Let's see what he sounds like.

Members Only (Introduction) [Prod. by Piz Corleone] - This song is a nice intro. Y1 throws some nice bars with a dope flow. Nice way to start shit.
"I don't need critique. I am who the real is." Well fuck this review.
4.5/5

Famous [Prod. by Audio Dope] - That hook is very warming. What is that from? It sounds so familiar. Y1 tells us how he wants to live. It's life most of us go for. I like how Y1 paints his dream to us. I really like his flow. The beat is great. Idk why, but this is better than other songs I hear where artists are complaining about how they want fame. This song is dope.
4.7/5


Don't Give Up [Prod. by William Kraz Johnson (of Eyecon Music)] - That MJ sample! yasss. That beat is on some 9th Wonder shit. This song is smooth. Y1 raps more about fame, but from a different angle, the dreaming part. The premise of fame. Y1 makes a dream so inspirational.
"Baltimore til my back break. Even though it's just a lil spec, that lil spec gon give this man a check."
4.2/5

Skylight [Prod. by Kae B (of Eyecon Music)] - This song had a dope music video. It shows a lot of Baltimore areas that I'm familiar with, which makes me happy. Someone from Baltimore getting love like that is a great thing to see. This easygoing song is nice to vibe to as the tape continues.
"I'm just tryna make it to the skylight. Surrounded by vampires, what a Twilight"
5.2/5

Recruiter (Skit) - Damn. I usually don't like skits too much, but this skit speaks numbers, not only about unemployment, but how most jobs aren't really shit. I'm glad I'm not the only one who believes it. Don't conform to just being a number. "Can we hurry the fuck up cuz I got class in like 45 minutes" lololol

What I Gotta Do [Prod. by William Kraz Johnson] - This song is nice. It took a few listens to get used to the chorus. Nice message on determination.
"The weed I had to cough it up because it was clouding every vision I would conjure up"
3/5

2000 to Forever (ft. 810 & Black Sunn) [Prod. by Kahlil The Wiz Kid] - The beat is that feel good shit! Y1 killed it and picked the perfect artists for features. When I first heard 810, I thought that was Da Kid Gowie! lol. 810 and Black Sunn perfectly complimented the track this is probably one of my faves off of the tape.
"All you do is slang hatred, then hide in the Matrix."
4/5

Reincarnation [Prod. by William Kraz Johnson] - Ohhh we're slowing things down now, huh? The beat sounds like a cut off one of the old Kanye albums. Y1's faster flow goes perfect over this. It's like Twista's verse on Slow Jamz. haha. I fucks with this track.
"Sometimes you gotta change the paint to get the right picture"
3.9/5

Rich Man & The Pauper (ft. Jay Verze) [Prod. by William Kraz Johnson] - A pauper is defined as a person without any means of support, but is there anything that defines a man as rich?  I remember when this joint dropped a few months ago. My question since I first heard this: Out of Jay Verze and Y1, who is the rich man and who is the pauper?
4.2/5

Music Is Cocaine (Skit) - At first, I thought this was just some random skit where Y1's playing guitar and I was like "wtf?," and then my nigga started singing. This should be made into a real song. It sounds like some J. Cole shit.

Let's Get Away (ft. Ashley Alexander) [Prod. by William Kraz Johnson] - That sample has me reminiscent of J. Dilla stuff. I'm also thinking of 9th Wonder. This track is just chill. It's the equivalent to a filler for me. I like. Vocals are provided by Ashley Alexander and they are quite beautiful.
3/5

Beautiful (ft. B Swails) [Prod. by Go (of Misfitz Sounds)] - Go (of Misfitz Sounds) gets mad love for the beat. It's nice and smooth, but I can't find the guy online whatsoever! Y1 drops a few hypnotizing bars. B. Swails voice is just soothing. The bitches are gonna love this. Y1 is adulating someone in the best way possible. I'm going to sing this to a girl and see where that gets me. lol
"I just like to live like it's my last night cuz when the day comes, this a past life."
4.7/5

Drinks In The Air [Prod. by Joshua "Jehdi" Thomas of The Humans] - The idea of this song makes me chuckle a bit. It starts on some really chill, Jamie Foxx type shit, and then the verse is  just Y1 going in. It's a nice, sudden change of feel. I don't drink, but I'm sipping my Pepsi to this joint. Jehdi is an amazing fool for this beat, especially that chorus section. This joint is the perfect mix of rap and club RnB (the Jamie Foxx/T-Pain shit).
4.2/5

Little Does She Know Part 1 [Prod. by William Kraz Johnson] - So much, yet so little to say about this song.. I'll let it speak for itself. Beat.. also crazy. Can't wait for Part 2.
5.2/5

Kobe Bryant [Prod. by Piz Corleone] - GOT ME FEELIN LIKE I'M KOBE BRYANT. This beat is on some Waka shit. If you were here, you could see me doing my swag dance. This nigga, Y1. This nigga right here, son! This nigga right here! Somebody put this shit on 92Q so I can drive to school like "CHANGE MY NUMBER ON THESE FUCKERS LIKE I'M KOBE BRYANT!" I love this song. I'm usually not into songs over beats like this, but Y1 is so versatile that I actually like this! His flow is ridiculous!
"Might be on the same team, but there's no alliance"
5/5

Goodnight - I thought the beat was a Kanye intro lol. This song starts with some crazy lines like "Don't be sipping like a bitch. I give a damn bout what yo throat say!" The beat is RIDICULOUS (after you get past the Kanye intro. lol.) The chorus reminds me of some J. Cole shit. This track is stupendous. The beat has a Kanye ending too. lol.
"Just don't be like Daniel and try to Jack my shit!"
4.9/5

Lincoln's Address - This track had a dope music video. The song is just inspirational. It's a nice look around and a great way to end the tape.
"Even though I'm 1%, my flow has to represent the 99."
4/5

Point blank, this whole tape was great. I heard a little of Y1 before, but I honestly did not know what to expect. I wouldn't call this a mixtape, but an album that Y1 was nice enough to give to us for free. Pullen is an amazingly versatile artist, going from songs like Skylight, to Let's Get Away to Kobe Bryant to Lincoln's Address and keeping it all real and amazing. There is never a lack in quality, stylistically or lyrically. This is honestly one of the best mixtapes I've heard this year. Y1 at times sounds like the perfect mix of Lupe Fiasco, J. Cole, and Kendrick Lamar. That's 3 of my favorite rappers rolled into a guy from Baltimore. This was a great mixtape and I can't wait to see what else Y1 has in store.
86.3% - B+

Y1ForPrez.com
@iam_y1 | Y1 on YouTube | Y1 on Tumblr
Go Download the Finally Or1ginal mixtape!

This review was brought to you by Waverly Spades, and I'm off to reluctantly write an essay on the feminism movement of the 1920's.

1 comment:

  1. Not a bad post check out 1y on youtube at one of the events I hosted under 1y Bloodtrail studios first event .

    ReplyDelete