Saturday, June 27, 2015

Tek.Lun - The Crusade [EP Review]

What's up, fam? It's ya boy: the muzical Don Jon Escobar aka the real Carlton Banks aka Bill Nye's 2nd cousin and ya boy is BACK for the long haul this time around. If you don't know me, my real fake name is Waverly Spades.
Today, we have this project from Baltimore producer/DJ, Tek.Lun. I first heard of Tek.Lun's production on GoldLink's Hip Hop Interlude. Very short song, but I loved that beat (one of my faves on the tape) and I really wanted to listen more into the dude. I also just wish that beat was longer.
This past week, Tek.Lun dropped The Crusade EP, which is 30 minutes of a very House/trap sound with some Bmore Club influence. It sounds very different from a lot of things coming from this scene. Every pad is so lush, but every distorted 808 kick is so clean, fat, and thick. It's very together, and diverse in the way that the album goes from Chicago House (Consequences) to a chill, trap feel (Broken 2), from some alien Dilla + Outkast shit (Plum w. Drew) to some funky, upbeat shit (PRAISE DE GANJA!). It's a great summer release because I can feel like I can take this shit and ride through the hood (in like spring or fall) and still feel like it's 82 degrees Fahrenheit outside. The title track (The Crusade) literally feels like a Crusade through the hood. Return of the Mack shit. amirite? So much of this is sample heavy and late 80's/90's reminiscent. Overall, I fucks with this EP heavily. There may be an LP version of this later on, so I'm kinda hype for that too.

4.7 Contemplations out of 5

This review was brought to you by Waverly Spades, and now I'm off to watch SNL Donald Trump's presidential campaign announcement.

@TekdotLun - Soundcloud - Buy The Crusade EP for $1
@WaverlySpades

No comments:

Post a Comment