Monday, April 22, 2013

Bobby Woody - Rollin in da Deep [Song Review]


Hello my fellow Trekkies and Transporters. You may know me by many a monikers, such as the Blacker Hacker, the Real Black Nerd, Bill Nye's 2nd cousin, but my real name (well not really), is Waverly Spades. Here this week, I have Bobby Woody's latest single "Rollin in da Deep." Might I add, I'm a month late and continuing my streak of tardiness with these posts! (Sorry, guys!) This joint dropped around Valentine's day as an attempt to continue his tradition in making friend zone songs or some shit like that. Well, I finally listened to the track, and man, this is HIGHLY slept on. That first line alone "You think I'm like those other guys, you're crazy" just sets the tone. I didn't understand at first that it was somewhat a reference to the first line of Gambino's Rolling In The Deep remix where he said "You think that I keep fucking other girls. You know I'm not." Haha I got that as soon as I actually read his description of the video. One thing about this song (which is also one thing I like about Bobby) is that it's packed with reference after reference to keep the feel/story going. Like BAM! Blue October reference. BAM! Wake Me Up When September Ends reference. BAM! Chowder reference. In this all in like a matter of 4 lines, it's ridiculous! AND BAM AGAIN! Drake reference. There's even a reference to Childish Gambino and Jamie xx's remix of this song, and on top of all that, some crazy wordplay. My favorite line is probably "Small nigga, but tall enough to have gone swimming. Shallow bitches, but some deep enough to call women" (Drake reference) The whole song is crazy and underrated to me. That last line is a perfect finisher. "If you come to my house, then please bring me lotion because I'd rather do me than do you and your emotions." Bobby really just spills on this shit. At times it sounds like he's hating all women ever, but then others, it sounds like he's really going at one specific person. I feel sorry for that person hahaha. But this song gets mad props.
4.7 Nerd Contemplations out of 5.

Follow Bobby (@bobbyjwoody) on Twitter
Subscribe to Bobby on YouTube
Follow me (@WaverlySpades) on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment